Tuesday, June 06, 2006

And though I am aware that Paris is, apparently, totally over, here's an enormous archive of photographs from the Siege and the Paris Commune:

http://www.library.northwestern.edu/spec/siege/index.html

Just the abundance of images, even though some are, frankly, less than exciting, makes me want to DO something with them. There is a section devoted to documenting the writing on the backs of these photographs; I have always been fascinated by the idea of how what is on the BACK of photographs might crystallize these fragments of an archive into dialectical images. Kristine has actually done me one (much) better to do work on this; I propose that we make something from this archive, as perhaps Olson would have suggested. Or, better yet, What Would Walter Benjamin Do?

Even better, the archive is in special collections at Northwestern: road trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home